Thursday, April 17, 2008

Landlocked Odyssey

I feared for long this day
that we would sail through these wretched waters
deceptively calm, beautiful
I knew what lies ahead
The Siren's song prances o'er effortlessly
Coated with honey to disguise such malice
Beckoning, calling my name, dizzying my mind
Loosening my grip, my determination
May I not sail in vain

Fetch the strongest cords aboard!
Tie me to the mast,
make the knots ever taut
Grant me the vigilance of Odysseus
Their lies coax
proffering gentle repose
they are a mirage of feigned hope
I am weary, my sails tattered and thin
wandering in this relentless desert
Although their chorus drowns all else out
Something constant as the ringing in my ears holds me
The very words that began this tiresome journey
If I veer now, it was all meaningless
May I not sail in vain

Tie me to the mast
your words bind me there
May this not be in vain
Lead me out of exile, into Zion
Abandoned all other hope
to search the seas recklessly
your words are all I have
Your oath, your covenant carries me
May I not sail in vain
as it echoes on and on
above the enticing tales of Babylon
"I will be found by you"

Inspired by Jeremiah 29:12-14

No comments: