Thursday, January 28, 2010

temple

This is your house
Made by man's hands
According to your blueprints
A faded picture
Of what is unseen

I doubt
You could ever reside here
Darkness has crept in
Through a crack in the window
Now it lets itself in the front door
When you arrived unannounced
I locked you in the front chamber
To keep you safe, so you wouldn't see
That unruly hazard walks free through corridors unkempt
I wanted to corral them
To usher them out the backdoor

Instead, your temple has become
a white-washed sepulcher
A haven for thieves
a nesting ground for vipers
a market place of filth, filled
with seedy cellars of unspeakable acts
a carnival of deception and false light
indulgences for sale
merchants of mercy
prophets of profit,
"Give me your soul
and I'll mend your sole"
where we present presents for your presence

How did it get this way
I beg you
to reclaim this ground
To take back what is yours

I beg you
To kick down the door
Brandishing a whip
Wielding your sword, your truth
Overturn the tables
Tear down the altered altars
and the Asherah poles
Ransack this darkness lair
Drive out the whores, the mercenaries, the tax collectors
Clean out your Father's house
of those that fall to their knees to prey
Crush the idols to other deities
Drive out the blind guides
The brood of vipers
for they tithe their spices
And forget justice
Blood of the prophets is on their hands
Blood is on my hands

This is your house
Take back what is yours
This is your house


Reading about Jesus clearing out the temple and connecting that to the scripture says our bodies are temples was powerful. It brings out all sorts of unnoticed things when we see the parallels with what angered Jesus in the temple. I think about how if Jesus were to show up, how he would respond to what he saw in His Father's house. A whole bunch of emotions are stirred up, thinking about what I would do to clean up before he got here. Then, it is horrifying to realize that the Spirit already resides here. How many altars to Baal have been built, how many Asherah poles are there? How have I misunderstood grace and justice and thought salvation is for sale? Are there things I don't even know are wrong in there and won't ever know until Jesus sends them packing? How do we turn this into powerful prayer?

I have had this in my head for almost 2 years now and just haven't felt like it comes out right, but wanted to get it down and take it as a first draft (the concept in the mind is clear and yet the words...they don't come). Suggestions welcome.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like it. I like how it isn't altogether clear whether you are talking about an individual person as the temple, or the church in general since both really are guilty of many of the same things. I also like the switch that you make from wanting to keep Him in the front room at the beginning, then going through and describing what is happening, which brings you to then end where you just want Him to get rid of it. Kind of the idea of "I can take care of this... oh, wow, it's worse than I though... Save me!" Beautifully and powerfully written. Thank you.

Mayome said...

Well said Ry.. i think this rings true for both the church and our own temple. I guess we make up the body of Christ, this would make sense. I liked your "presence/ts" addition, I feel like you added a lot more, but maybe I was able to notice more of the double-meanings while reading it.
"Give me your soul and I'll mend your sole".. I remember being a little confused when you read this line to me the other day.. not sure I get it.
I feel like you really painted a clear picture. glad you're writing again. :)

waiguoren said...

The writer is writing again! I think I'm feeling your thoughts and words. It's interesting how there are so many sins we as individuals and as the collective Church are committing, and also how much we are omitting clear commands. Or maybe, take justice and the poor for example... Sometimes our omission is an indirect but felt oppression both near and far. Writing and discussion such as this forces us into some action reflection cycle, which will always be necessary as we move forward. Hope to see more of this stuff.

Daniel Groot said...

nothing deep to say... started reading blogs again and checked this out and loved it! ;)

Nonnie said...

"it is horrifying to realize that the Spirit already resides here."
Life is like that we get so caught up in the busy day to day life and forget Jesus is with us every moment of that busy life. With the knowledge Jesus is there every moment how does that change your daily decisions,reactions,thoughts and walk of life?