Friday, July 29, 2011

transitions

Transitions oh transitions!

The other day my supervisor let me know that the director paid me a compliment. She has a habit of notifying me of the things he says because he would never actually say it to me. It is a very kind thing for her to do. He said that I had handled the transitions over the last few months very well and remarked on how smooth it was.

Today is a good day to reflect on that. Wednesday actually marked my last day of employment, where I had worked for a little over two years. While not very long, it felt long as there were so many changes as is the nature of this kind of work paired with a structure more akin to an organism, constantly shaping and shifting in response to what comes its way.

As I write, I am waiting for a call to let me know when I should do my exit interview today. I realize that this is actually pivotal to my transition into returning to the education world. I could choose to complain about things that bothered me and I held my tongue on. I could get all puffed up and spew it all out and leave in a mess. Then I think about how important is this? Is it worth it? What is most important? I think about relationships that I value and most of all I am continually drawn to loving people and doing that well. I think that the way I leave must demonstrate that. That doesn't mean not being honest or truthful, but doing so in a way that is constructive, positive, and praying for the best for them.

If I were to leave in a negative fashion, I think part of myself would remain behind. Therefore, hindering transition. While my experience has been mostly good and I have been treated well, nobody is perfect. Although I reflect on this, I certainly wasn't entertaining the idea of leaving in a raging tirade. Its more important that I think things through and realize that I have to live out my convictions especially in light of my last blog on love.

I think have to be honest with them and leave everything there. If I leave wishing I had said this or that, and hold on to "well I was wronged this way" and "that wasn't fair" and "really, they owe me big time" or any other kind of thing I am in the wrong by keeping a list of their faults (not loving them). I would hinder myself from growth by not moving on in my journey, by leaving a part of me there.

As I write this, I am reminded of something that I tell the teens all the time. It is not what about other people do, we cannot let that affect our actions and thoughts. In the end we are responsible for our own actions and responses. When we react, we think we are God because truly each person is accountable to Him and for us to think we should carry out justice is foolish.

I have learned a lot over the last two years and I owe that to the experiences provided me and the graciousness and flexibility of those older and wiser than me. I am thankful to the kids that let me be a part of their lives and inspired me with their stories, most of the time without knowing it. I am thankful for the endless opportunities to love and forgive. Sometimes I feel my love is very small and on low supply, but I don't ever recall Jesus saying that it would be easy to love. He said just do it because it is the most important thing. If life were perfect and everyone was good to each other, we might not realize our acts of love.

What do your transitions look like? How are you challenged to love people?

1 comment:

MsFitz said...

oh boy! I can't wait for this next season of our lives together,i still feel like we're in a new season.. live moves quick! :) I'm proud of the way you've ended well here, you show us how it's done. love it.