Friday, September 23, 2011

restless

A couple of days ago I was driving home in our lovely, newly acquired Subaru (affectionately dubbed, "Dora" - that story is for another time), trying to find a song to match my mood when mention of an interview caught my ear. They were playing highlights of interviews with Jon Foreman. Switchfoot is pretty popular, but I think what draws people to them is their honesty and how personal some of the music is, as if each person can identify with one of their songs as if it was uniquely their own. He was talking about a song on their new album, one that I had heard on the radio a few months back that made me really excited about their upcoming album "Vice Verses". The song is called "Restless".

He gave a backdrop into how the song came to be, which took me into what he was thinking and allowed me to connect even more with the song. He said that they were doing shows in the UK and were put up in a castle. Yes, a castle, you read that right. One night it was raining (which is nothing new there) and he watched the raindrops hit the window. He thought about how they would eventually collect and find their way to the creek next to the castle. The creek would then feed into a stream which then would empty out the shore. How tireless and relentless is the waters search to reach the shore! He pondered, does he have this kind of tenacity in his own life, in his faith and pursuit of God? I may have messed up his description a bit, but still, I thought it was so beautiful.

Are you restless? Are you tireless in your pursuit of God?

Here's a video of the song with the lyrics:

1 comment:

Daniel Groot said...

great post. didn't even know a new album was coming out. Exciting!