Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Innocent vs Innocent

This afternoon I was driving home from our local WinCo happily dial surfing on the radio. I heard a song that caught my ear. What I realized is that the song was eerily reminiscent of another song I hadn't heard in a long time. I decided to put both the songs on here so you can judge for yourself. Am I crazy? What gets me is that they have the exact same chorus: "We are, we are, all innocent..." by the first band, Our Lady Peace, and "We are, we are innocent..." by Luminate. Overall, the songs don't sound super similar but, notice that the songs begin in a similar way (percussion).

It's a bummer because the song by Luminate sounds pretty cool. If I wasn't aware of Our Lady Peace's version, I'd like it. What gets me is it just sounds like they liked the song and are Christianizing it. On the other hand, there is something good about redeeming and making a positive message out of what was not. This is just me making a big deal of nothing. As I think about it more, I think part of it is that the Our Lady Peace song was something I listened to a lot to in high school and is significant to me.

Luminate:


Our Lady Peace:


What do you think? Redeeming? Ripoff? Not at all the same?

No comments: